Q & A
Does anyone give supervision for Chia Seeds?
- KSA gives supervision to Nutiva Chia Seeds
I heard that Gogi Berries are very healthy.
Do they need supervision?
- Navitas gogi berries are certified by EarthKosher
A lot of recipes call for Sherry Vinegar. Is it kosher?
The OU certified Mizkan Sherry Vinegar is only available on the industrial level.
I'm on a gluten-free diet & like to bake.
Is their a Kosher gluten-free baking powder?
Clabber Girl, Davis & Rumford baking powder
are certified kosher by the OU
In Canada, Magic baking powder is certified by the Kashruth Council of Canada
Does applesauce need supervision?
- Regular applesauce with 'no added flavors' doesn't require kosher supervision
- If there is a choice it is always better to buy the product with kosher supervision
I saw the question about yogurt. What about cottage cheese?
Many brands use vinegar in their production of cottage cheese
so only buy the products with kosher supervision
I'm new to becoming observant. Does yogurt need a kosher symbol?
Gelatin is often an ingredient in yogurt
so yogurt requires kosher supervision
I need to eat Gluten-Free foods.
Since it's for my health can I buy products without kosher supervision?
- There are so many companies that make gluten-free products that have kosher supervision so it is not necessary for you to buy those without it
- If you can't find these products in your local chain store go to whatever health food stores are where you live
Target's Market Pantry
has a Worcestershire sauce with an OU.
The ingredients list includes anchovies.
Shouldn't they have the word 'fish' to the side of the OU
so we'd know not to use it at a meat meal?
- According to the OU, the percentage of anchovies is very small & that is why there is no need to state 'fish'on the label
- This product can be utilized at meat meals
Star garlic flavor olive oil
has an OU in the small size bottle
but not in the large bottle. Is the large bottle also kosher?
- The large bottles are also OU certified
- To economize, companies sometimes decide to use up their old labels
I often see companies like Morningstar
that have several products
with a kosher supervision symbol but there are 1 or 2 of their products
that don't have a symbol. Can I assume that the company's other products are kosher but just don't have the label updated?
- A product is not kosher without a Kosher supervision symbol
- You can't assume a product is Kosher because other products by a company
have a Kosher supervision symbol even if they're right next to each on the
shelves of your local grocery store
- Please view the list of Kosher Supervision Companies at Kosher Supervision Symbols.
Copyright © 2009 - 2013 KosherWoman.com
All rights reserved